The Importance of Flu Shots
Flu shots, also known as influenza vaccinations, help to prevent flu caused by influenza virus types A and B. The vaccine works by stimulating your immunity against the seasonal strains of influenza. Protection typically starts about 2 weeks after the vaccination.
What are the symptoms of Flu?
Flu symptoms include:
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
While most may recover without complications, certain high risk groups may develop severe, life threatening disease.
Who Should Get Flu Shots
We recommend everyone without contraindications to get vaccinated against seasonal flu.
The flu vaccine is especially important for these 8 groups of high risk individuals:
- Elderly who are 65 years old and above,
- Children aged from 6 months old to 59 months old,
- Pregnant women in any trimester,
- Healthcare workers,
- Individuals staying in intermediate or long-term care facilities,
- Individuals who are 18 years old or younger and receiving long-term aspirin therapy,
- Individuals with underlying conditions such as:
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Lung Disease
- Immunocompromised Individuals caused by:
- Conditions (eg. Leukaemia, HIV, Asplenia, Organ transplant)
- Medications (eg. Long-term Steroids, Specific Cancer Drugs, Radiation Therapy)
Common Side Effects of Flu Shots
Common side effects of getting a flu jab include soreness, redness or swelling around the site of injection, body aches, tiredness and fever. These side effects usually resolve themselves within 2 to 3 days, and paracetamol may be consumed to relieve pain or fever.
Get your Flu Shot with Minmed Clinics
At Minmed Clinics, safeguarding your health is our utmost priority. We offer flu jabs that are updated twice a year in preparation for the northern and southern hemisphere winter seasons.
Access healthcare right at your fingertips with our islandwide network of clinics, all conveniently located near MRT stations and within shopping malls. Check out our clinic locations here.
If you want things to be even more convenient, get your queue number online and skip the queue!
Still not sure if you should get the flu jab? Get a professional opinion from our doctors anywhere with our teleconsultation service. Find out more here.
Take a step towards a stronger you and find out more about our range of vaccines here.
If you would like to enjoy a first-class vaccination experience, make your appointment with Minmed Wellness Collective @ Jewel Changi Airport.